It’s a way to learn differently!
At Old Heath Community Primary School we are very lucky that we have been able to turn a corner of our field into our very own ‘Wolf Wood’! So named by the Early Years Class in the Summer of 2015 thanks to a mini totem pole found by our Site Manager, Mr Switzer!
The Forest School Association has six principles that we recognise and work with whilst running our Forest School sessions:
- FS a long-term process of regular sessions, rather than a one-off or infrequent visits; the cycle of planning, observation, adaptation and review links each session.
- FS takes place in a woodland or natural environment to support the development of a relationship between the learner and the natural world.
- FS uses a range of learner-centred processes to create a community for being, development and learning.
- FS aims to promote the holistic development of all those involved, fostering resilient, confident, independent and creative learners.
- FS offers learners the opportunity to take supported risks appropriate to the environment and to themselves.
- FS is run by qualified Forest School practitioners who continuously maintain and develop their professional practice.
Over the year Forest School sessions are part of the timetable for a term for each class, however for 2020/21 this has been put temporarily on hold due to the Covid Pandemic.
Download our FOREST SCHOOL POLICY SEPT 2017
Please read our Forest School Quick Guide Autumn Y4 Y2 2017 V2 for quick explanation & guide to Forest School at Old Heath.
More photos of Y4 and Y2 sessions: